From Handbook to Scripture, Day 232
READING: JOHN 3
Chapters 2–12 present seven attesting signs that point to the Person and life-giving power of Jesus:
- Turning the water into wine (2:1–11)
- Healing the royal official’s son (4:46–54)
- Healing the invalid (5:1–15)
- Feeding the multitude (6:1–14)
- Walking on water (6:16–21)
- Giving sight to the man born blind (9:1–41)
- The raising of Lazarus (11:1–45)
In most cases, John follows these signs with a presentation of the reactions of belief and disbelief.
The story of Jesus’ interview with Nicodemus points to the human need to be born of the Spirit in order to enjoy life with God. In John’s testimony to Jesus, he saw himself as the friend of the bridegroom and affirmed that “He must increase, but I must decrease” (3:30). This is the essence of the spiritual life.
Prayer: Lord, Your gift of eternal life to all who believe in Your Son is the highest expression of Your unbounded love for us. I ask that in my life, Jesus would increase and I would decrease.
Meditation passage: verses 3, 5–8, 14–21, 30, 35–36